This week's theme at Runner's Lounge, Take it and Run Thursday is life lessons learned from running.
It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly the life lesson's I have learned from running as there are many, but here are a few that are predominant in my mind :
1) Life is short do not waste it. For me, every marathon I run always includes some thoughts and reflections about life. It helps to refocus what is important in life: experiences with friends and family. This is why I am always looking forward to my next race or event, its all about the experiences.
2) Flexibility is important. Physically (and don't my calves know it tonight) and metaphorically. Sometimes your runs are missed, or training is altered out of our control when life or injuries get in the way, so our training plan must be flexible. Being a "Type A" personality, I have realized that flexibility is key to staying sane in such a fast paced world.
3) Stay positive even when its tough. Sometimes it can be tough to be tough when you train hard and run a crappy race. I have learned the importance of seeing the positive even when a race or a training run doesn't go as planned. In fact, its my belief that we can often learn so much more when things don't go as planned. Be thankful that you can run, and that you can improve. Similarily in life, its important to stay positive. Every day we are here is a blessing. Truly.
OK, enough with the deep stuff. Running has also made me learn the following lighter life lessons
4) Plan long routes in new construction areas. Porta-potties are guaranteed.
5) Body Glide is a wonderful thing, really and truly.
6) There is nothing as good as a Starbucks hot chocolate and an ice-bath after a long run.
7) Runners are awesome and interesting people. Yes, I mean you.
Have a great Friday all! Thanks for reading!