Monday, July 21, 2008

What to Say About Jay....

It's been a few days since I posted, but I haven't been doing a heck of a lot to blog about running-wise. I have been busy stuffing my face with carbohydrates and running less in an attempt to taper. I loved the zucchini pasta BTW, and at P.O.M's suggestion, I also made some sweet potato fries. Yummy!

The Jay Challenge is this Saturday so its time to talk about preparations. I plan on packing my race drop bags today. The race director sent out a detailed pre-race newsletter in which he suggests to have two drop bags packed that include the following items:

Drop Bag One
-socks
-shoes
-Gu's
-Shot Blocks

Drop Bag Two
-socks
-shoes
-change of clothes
-Shot Blocks

I'm also adding to both bags:
-Advil (lots)
-bandages
-Vaseline
-bug spray
-rain poncho
-sunscreen
-fresh Gatorade and water (just in case the stuff along the course tastes bad)
-To drop bag one- a light weight shell for the Summit!!
- a towel to wipe my sweaty feet

If anyone can think of something I'm missing, please let me know. I will be out on the course for a long time!

The race director also reported some new course changes:

1- once you reach aid station 1, you will be 95% OF THE TIME on a NEW brook until aid station #2. This will allow us to avoid crossing route 242 since You will go underneath the road in a 50 foot culvert that is 6 feet high. This section is fairly technical, you will be slow but it is so beautiful you should enjoy it

2- Because of the 1st change you will reach the base of Jay Peak on the state side instead of the main lodge, You will then climb Jay peak to the top via a completely insane( STEEP) new route. So if you look at the mountain from the village you will climb on the ridge line on the left to the top

3- For the first time in 7 years, you will actually reach the top of Jay peak on the ledge to the top. (Marci here: so excited about this!!!) In the past 6 years we were always short of the top by about 50 feet... this year you will be at the absolute top. Consequently you might want to have a lightweight shell in your drop off bag in case of bad weather at the summit. (Marci again: What is this Everest or something?..)

4- Beautiful new singletrack section on the Christmas tree farm.
The race director also made the following comments about training:

I have been asked many times over on how to train for such a race. The real answer is that you CANNOT. If you are a fit athlete and have completed several races and regularly play in the woods you will be all set. However if you think that this race is a cool race and you are attracted by the craziness of it, unfortunately you will not make it. This race is for animal only and is considered the hardest 33 miler in the world. As for the ½ , you better be trained for a full and then you will really enjoy the race.


Animal only?! Hey I take offense!! ;)

My Time Prediction:

As I mentioned previously, this course is the supposedly the toughest for its distance in North America. According to the RD you should double or triple your worst marathon time. Its also 33 miles, or 11K longer than a full marathon. That said, I really have no idea what to expect but I am going to predict between a finish between 8.5 hours and 10, but I am prepared to stay out longer if needed. My goal is truly just to finish.

Warning: chest pounding moment to follow:

I am ready, bring it on!!!

(Clears throat) I am not an animal...

This week, I have the following planned for "training"
Monday -bootcamp and yoga
Tuesday - 6K tempo (no Yasso's this week)
Wednesday -7K easy
Thursday -REST
Friday - REST
Saturday - Jay Challenge, 53K
Sunday - RECOVER and celebrate!!!

Have a great week and thanks for reading!!

16 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow... sounds like an amazing challenge, and they make sure you set your expectations appropriately eh?! LOL enjoy your carbs, have a great race, and I can't wait to read all about it, as I will live vicariously through you on this one :)

Marlene said...

Like Mel, I'm living vicariously through you on this... it sounds insane and amazing. Be safe and have fun! Can't wait to read about it.

Nitmos said...

You sound excited and ready to go!

The only other thing I would carry is some Depends. I, for one, would be crapping my pants over this. But I'm not prepared like you are.

Good luck!

Kim said...

Do you take elecrolytes for cramping and such? That's the only thing I could think of if there is a chance it will be warm.

I'm so excited for you! The things your packing are what I would pack. For such a long race-would you want to pack some food such as pretzels or 'ultra' food? Just an idea. You may get very hungry out there!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! btw I love the name of your blog. I am severely addicted (in withdrawal right now)

Jess said...

That sounds like quite the challenge! Best of luck!

robison52 said...

I can only think of two suggestions for your bag, tissues (for bathroom purposes) and maybe a pair of gloves for the summit and/or bad weather.

I'm looking forward to reading about your success as your race report will be a big learning experience for me as I won't be running my first ultra until next April.

Meg said...

Wow, that is an intimidating note from the RD. Good luck with your preparations and taper! You'll be fine!

anners said...

Amazing. I cannot wait for the report! All the best!

Marcy said...

LMAO at Nitmos! Ummm yeah I'd be packing those babies away as well. You ARE an ANIMAL!! ;-) I can't wait to hear this report! This is gonna be a good one!

Lily on the Road said...

You have totally inspired my for next year!

Nitmos, what can I say.

I've heard Tylenol is better than Advil, seriously...Advil can affect your kidneys when your body is stressed...

"This is from a Marathon Medical team.

Recent medical research has shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. may be harmful to runners' kidney function if taken within 24 hours of running; only acetaminophen (Tylenol®) has been shown to be safe. These NSAIDs are thought to increase the possibility of hyponatremia while running long distances due to their decreasing blood flow to the kidneys and interfering with a hormone that helps the body retain salt. Therefore it is recommended that on race day (specifically beginning midnight before you run) you do not use anything but acetaminophen (Tylenol®) if needed until 6 hours after you have finished the race, are able to drink without any nausea or vomiting, have urinated once, and feel physically and mentally back to normal. Then, an NSAID would be of benefit in preventing post-event muscle soreness.

Best Wishes,

Geo"

Just thought I'd let you know.

Carry salt packets too!

I'm just so excited for you ~ you ANIMAL!!

Run SAFE, have fun and return quickly to let us know all about it!

Lily on the Road said...

Oh, me again, Toilet paper and wet wipes....extra hat, yours maybe so soaked with sweat you might want a "fresh" one...

Apricots and dates...fig newtons...gawd, now I'm sounding like a mother....just go - have fun,

you know what you're doing!

P.O.M. said...

Man, that sounds really exciting, and really scary. But mostly exciting. Good luck girlie and have a blast!!!

Can you throw any type of food into your bag? Like bananas, dried fruit or pretzels? In case you feel like you need some real (as opposed to gu, etc.)

Marci said...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone especially the Depends. LOL! I will definately expand my packing list now.

Marci said...

Lily - I never knew vitamin I could cause so much damage. I guess I should maybe get some aspirin then. Thanks for the info!

Barrie RoadRunners said...

Hi Marci, I agree with Lilly... Careful with the Advil.
Some food for your drop bags and maybe an extra waterproof disposable camera, Dan says a camera is a must. Oh yeah and a towel.
Hopefully we'll see you there. The 5 of us from Barrie are going with no purpose other than have a blast in the mud.
See you on Saturday.

Keith