Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Marathon Training in Progress

Since my return to the blog sphere I haven't yet blogged about running.  Don't worry,  the running addict in me is still alive and well!

You may have noticed the races listed for 2011 on the right hand side bar,  an 8K (this weekend!),  a half, a 30K, and the spring culminates with the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon.  With vigour, I made my training plan,  set out, registered and began running!

Sounds great, right?!

Except although I am amped up to train,  I want more.

More marathons that is.

I usually run a marathon on the March break,  and then another in the May, sometimes two.

But I am often told, Marci you should focus on a specific race,  you would run so much faster...

Well I will be honest,  I do want to run faster,  what runner doesn't?  But I also love running marathons,  and I also tend to run well when I run multiples.

So I have been casually shopping for a March marathon.

Contenders:

LA Marathon - I ran this last year,  and it kicked my butt!!  Seriously this course was a downhill quad killer,  but incredibly fun!!  I also want to go back and tour around LA a little more.  It was the only marathon I have ran where there were volunteer drag queens at the water stations,  and soy milk was given out on the course. (hilarious- who can stomach soy milk while running a marathon?)

Georgia Marathon - This would be another state for me (state number 9).  I'll admit I am not that excited by this race,  but maybe someone from the area or who has run it before can change my mind.


Or maybe I should just stick with the plan,  and train hard for Cincinnati.

Help!!

8 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

Run a lot while you can. :)

Unknown said...

the best thing about goals is that they are your own for the making. do whatever YOU want.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I ran Flying pig the last two years. Great race. Tough but fun. I am doing Ky derby the day before.

Stephanie said...

I love the idea about "casually shopping" for a marathon, as though you were just looking for a new pair of shoes.

I look forward to the time when I can do more than one marathon a year and I too can casually shop for another race. :)

Tammy said...

I also like running in multiples. It seems like such a waste to throw away the base when you could just wait a few weeks and run another marathon...

Flying Pig is one of my favorite races, by the way. I'm planning on running St Louis and probably Green Bay in the spring, plus a relay in between.

Marathon Training Schedule Scott said...

Great to see someone who loves racing, maybe change up your training program between races to cater for the intensity of the races, sorry can't add to your decision on which marathon to choose but can help out with a new schedule...http://marathon-trainingschedule.com and if you want a free membership let me know (via admin @ marathon-trainingschedule.com) and I'll set one up for you.
Happy running

Lily on the Road said...

There is Ottawa Marathon in May or the Bluenoser in Halifax! 30K Around the Bay is always a great run too.

Nitmos said...

Well, Cincy is a tough course. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket as far as speed but, who knows, maybe you are a hiller?!