Saturday, December 12, 2009

Race Plans: What's Up Next?

First off,  thanks for all your nice comments about CIM.  I am still riding on a high from that race.  It will take a special marathon to beat that experience!

I am beginning to put in place my race plans for the remainder of 2009/spring 2010.  I definately want to be more selective about the races I complete, but here is what I have planned so far:

Registered

1. January 24th - Robbie Burns 8K/5 mile road race (Burlington, Ontario)

I ran this last year in 44 odd minutes, so I know I can do better.  It  is a really fun little race, cheap registration fee with a full breakfast served after - a good pick-me-up for the dead of Canadian winter.  Plus you get an instakilt with registration...



LOL...  I am not sure I will be using that..  Maybe on race day or possibly Halloween?

2. March 7th - Chilly Half Marathon  (Hamilton, Ontario)
I run this half marathon every year as a tune-up for the spring running season.  This year it has a new route along Lake Ontario.  Should be fun.   Who else is running this?  Maybe a blogger meet-up?


Possible Registration

1. December 27th, 2009 - Run For the Ranch Marathon (Springfield, Missouri)
I know I just ran CIM,  but this marathon would allow me to meet my goal of 5 marathons in 5 different states for 2009 (It will be my 9th marathon of the year).  It is a 5K loop,  and I would visit my sister in Nashville afterwards to celebrate the New Year.  I think it will be a game time decision,  if the weather is crappy,  I won't run it.  

2. March 28th - Around the Bay (Hamilton, Ontario)
Depending on the other races I choose,  I may or may not run this one.  It is a great course,  and a really fun event, with great history.  The race itself is older than the Boston Marathon,  a fact that is widely advertised on the race shirts.  Last year I sat this one out sick! :(

3.  Feb 14th -  Myrtle Beach Marathon (Myrtle Beach,  SC)
The timing of this marathon is good - we have a long weekend for family day as well.  

4. LA Marathon!!!!!!

Last night I was at a Christmas party (full of running friends),  and a plan was formulated to possibly run LA!!! Yes copius amounts of wine and beer allowed us to come to this decision! It is at the tail end of my March break, and I was thinking of visiting my Dad again in San Ramon, and then doing the coastal drive (that I've always wanted to do) down to LA and finish with the marathon.  The elevation change is similar to CIM,  rolling hills, which I loved. Its a brand-new route,  running from Dogers Stadium to the beach. Here is a promo video of the new course:




I am trying really hard not to race too many races,  but there are so many good options out there!!  If you know anything about Myrtle Beach or LA,  I would appreciate your feedback.

Hope you are all having a great weekend! Thanks for reading!


19 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I'm registered for the Chilly... YES, I want to finally MEET YOU ... not just pretending to smile while I wave at you crossing paths during a miserably horrible (for me) marathon experience! LOL Wow, 9 marathons for this year! Even if you don't get that last one in, 8 is an amazing accomplishment, congrats Marci! Looks like 2010 is going to be a fantastic year!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

ooooh yeah! come to Myrtle Beach! SO FUN! this will be year #6 of consecutive myrtle beach half marathons for me! (helps that the start line is a 5 minute drive from my house, haha!)

Missy said...

Looks for a great race schedule to me! Good luck with the decision - I'm no help.

Nicole said...

Sounds like you have lots of fun ideas for 2010!! :) I'm excited to follow you as you keep on running!! :) :) :)

Kristen said...

I just love race planning! Looks like you have some good ones. Sorry I don't know too much about any of them though. :(

I seriously think after finishing an awesome race (like CIM) makes it even more fun. You just want to get back out there.

Lindsay said...

OMG!!! i might be doing the MB half in feb... we will def have to meet up if i can ever make up my mind! :) :)

Boris T said...

The Robbie Burns sounds good I might do that one. I wish I could do the Chilly and the Bay but it looks like I'll be out of town for both this year.

Good luck with all your plans for the up coming year!

Marlene said...

Exciting plans! I will be at Chilly Half and ATB for sure. Undecided on Robbie Burns yet.... last year I had a DNS due to my shoulder injury, so it would be nice to give it another shot.

A Bloggie Meet up would be great too!

The "tentative" plan for LA sounds wonderful!

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like a great year of racing.

Felice Devine said...

I guess you like Cali, huh?

Looks like a great year!

Jess said...

Those all sound like fun races!

RunningLaur said...

Can't wait to hear about all of the races - if only they were all free, our addiction would be easier to handle!

MCM Mama said...

Looks like some fun races! I've got nothing but my "usuals" on my calendar so far. I've really got to start focusing LOL.

EndorphinBuzz said...

I want to do LA too... Yay!

Ali said...

Back to SoCal! Sounds like a great marathon.

I'm doing around the bay ... you should do it too!

Aron said...

ahhhh LA!! i want to run that one! but its too soon for me :) cant wait to see what you plan out!

Jill said...

Your race calendar looks great. I've run WAY too many races this year and not only is it pricey, they tend to not hold as much meaning. I've love to do Myrtle Beach, look forward to seeing how it goes for you!

DelDean said...

Insta-kilt !!!
not sure what the heck that is, but it sounds fun. a buddy of mine ran Lock Ness this year in a kilt to celebrate his Scotish roots. He did PDR half in Philly as a warm up...no issues, so went for it international style.
p.s. he's a bit of a nut about stuff like that, but don't let that distract you

Kim said...

SOOOOOOOO let me know if you do Run for the Ranch! It was my back up to my back up if I hadn't met my 12 marathons for the year. Doug and I were just talking about it yesterday and joking about going down to do it. Let us know if you do it!!!