Thursday, October 9, 2008

TIaRT Thursday: Favourite Race Signs

This Thursday's Take and Run Thursday theme is "favourite race signs". I found this post difficult to write, only because there are so many types of signs that evoke many different emotions from laughter to tears, which I guess is indicative of the spectrum of emotions often experienced during a marathon.

1) Signs that Pump me up!
Any signs that encourage me to fight through the pain are welcomed during a marathon. Cliches such as "The Pain is temporary, pride is forever", "You trained for this day, Go for Gold, Go __ Go!, I think it is terrific that people are willing to stand on the sidelines and cheer on the runners. Unlike Nitmos, I don't feel the urge to grab the sign and bonk it on their heads. LOL.


2) Signs that make me Laugh
I remember during the Philadelphia marathon there were six guys wearing pink tutu's that held a sign that said "We lost a bet, Go Peter Go!!". I suspect they bet Peter he would not finish the marathon. Anyway it was hilarious and made me laugh.

3) Signs that bring Tears
There is one simple sign that I remember seeing clearly during my very first marathon. As I was approaching the finish line, I saw a little girl with her father holding a sign that read "Go Mommy Go! You are my Hero!". The girl was holding it patiently and looking excitedly for her mom. I am not a mom (yet), but the expression on the girls face made me burst into tears (which BTW, I usually cry at least once during a marathon, but this sign, and the emotion on the little girls face, and fact that I was about to complete my first marathon, easily brought on the tears!)


4) Signs that let me know its almost done
I love signs that say "It's all downhill from here", or "500 meters to go". They provide me with a surge of energy and let me know that the finish line is near.


I think this post will make me take special attention to remember the signs I see when I am running Niagara, and to thank the people who stand on the side of the road bearing signs such as "Runner's Rule!". Thanks to them and thanks to you for reading!

12 comments:

Aron said...

yayyyy great post!! signs are so fun :)

Julianne said...

Awesome breakdown of the signs category! ;-)

Jess said...

Good categories for the signs!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great post!! ok, i'm not even running a marathon and sign #3 made me tear up!! btw, thanks fo all the support!! especially lately :D much appreciated

Unknown said...

I agree with everything you wrote.I never really thought of the ones that make me want to cry.

Erik said...

nicely done....as usual...

I can't wait to run a race big enough to include some signs. I will definitely be paying attention now...

E

Sarah said...

There are always some awesome signs out there! It is inspirational to everyone to see them. Hopefully when the time comes to run my first marathon I will have a sign all my own!

tfh said...

Great signs! You're absolutely right about thanking spectators holding signs and cheering-- I'm not sure what the better distraction is, seeing a sign or taking the time to think beyond oneself enough to say "thank you!"

Marcy said...

#3 is sweet. Even I would probably cry for that and then I'd punch myself in the head for being ridiculous (I'm KIDDING!)

AddictedToEndorphins said...

RIGHT ON! I love signs. When I have enough energy to read them, that is:)

have fun at niagra.

Kim said...

A couple of my favorites:

We're ALL Kenyans.

Who Needs Toenails Anyway?

Run Like You Stole Something!

Have a great weekend! That's not a sign...that's me.

Anonymous said...

of course like your web-site however you have to test the spelling on quite
a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find
it very bothersome to tell the reality however I will
certainly come again again.

my weblog :: Betting Online